The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) have confirmed the top ten best-selling cars of 2018 so far by releasing the new car registration figures for January 2018. It may be no surprise to hear that the best-selling car in Britain continues to be the popular Ford Fiesta, but which contenders were close behind?
We’ve taken a closer look at the Top 5 best sellers for 2018 so far, revealing some interesting and fun facts. Let’s see who’s first off the starting blocks…
1. Ford Fiesta – 8,335 registrations
The Ford Fiesta finished 2017 as the best-selling car in the UK, and it’s begun 2018 in the same way, outselling its closest rival by over 4,000 registrations.
The Ford Fiesta is a supermini, which first rolled off production lines in Spain in 1976. Henry Ford II personally chose the name due to its links to the Mediterranean country. It quickly made the bestsellers’ list, and today it’s still one of world’s most-loved cars.
It’s been a familiar sight on British roads for the last 40 years, and rarely falls outside the top three best-selling cars in the UK, perhaps due to its above-average reputation for reliability. Since its launch in 1976, the model has been through seven generations and has remained the sector leader.
Some Fun Facts about the Ford Fiesta
- The name Fiesta means “party” in Spanish
- Before being named the Fiesta, its working title was ‘Bobcat’
- There was a Fiesta “Focus” edition in 1995 – prior to the Ford Focus being launched in 1998
2. Volkswagen Golf – 4,310 registrations
The Volkswagen Golf takes second place in the January 2018 rankings, securing a respectable 4,310 registrations…although it’s still behind the Fiesta above by quite some distance!
The Volkswagen Golf is a small family car which has been produced by German manufacturer Volkswagen since 1974. It has been marketed worldwide across seven generations and is often described as the ‘definitive family hatchback’.
The Volkswagen Golf has won many awards throughout its history. Including World Car of the Year in 2009 and 2013, and European Car of the Year in 1992 and 2013.
Some Fun Facts about the Volkswagen Golf
- The Golf is the only car in the world which is available with electric, hybrid, petrol, diesel and gas-powered engine options
- The Volkswagen Golf is the German word for “gulf”, as in “the Gulf stream”
- The Volkswagen Golf is used to classify an automotive class – with compact or small family cards often referred to as the “golf class”.
3. Ford Focus – 4,105 registrations
In third place is the Ford Focus, a compact automobile manufactured by Ford Motor Company since 1998. Having replaced the Ford Escort, it was an immediate success, and won Car of the Year awards in both Europe and America in 1999.
Praised for its fresh looks, brilliant handling, high equipment levels and impressive build quality, it was Britain’s best-selling car for 6 years in a row.
The Focus was praised by motoring journalists for its multi-link fully independent rear suspension, which was said to make the car comfortable and quiet – an attractive prospect for families on long journeys!
Some Fun Facts about the Ford Focus
- Experts at the Ford manufacturing plant in Valencia, Spain use 18 sound-proofed cells at the end of the production line to listen to each engine before it is despatched
- The 2016 Focus RS was the first Focus RS to go on sale around the world – previous versions were predominantly sold in Europe
- The design of the 2016 Focus RS includes gaps that are designed to look like nostrils, to show that the car ‘needs air to breathe’
4. Nissan Qashqai – 3,851 registrations
The Nissan Qashqai, a compact crossover SUV produced by the Japanese car manufacturer Nissan since 2006, takes fourth place in the best-selling list.
It was introduced to the UK in 2007 after making its global debut at the 2006 Paris Motor Show. Originally designed to replace the Nissan Mistral, the Nissan Qashqai has become one of the UK’s most popular compact crossovers.
The Qashqai was designed to cater for buyers who wanted ‘a more dynamic design, without the large, aggressive nature of a traditional SUV’ and has become famous for its unique styling, impressive comfort levels and generous specification.
Some Fun Facts about the Nissan Qashqai
- The Nissan Qashqai (pronounced “Cash-Kai”) is named after the Qashqai tribe in Southwestern Iran
- There are over 7,000 different Qashqai variants available before you even choose the colour!
- During tests, a 1.5dCi Nissan Qashqai was driven 839 miles from Land’s End to John O’Groats on one tank of fuel
5. Vauxhall Mokka X – 3,767 registrations
The Vauxhall Mokka X is a surprise entry in fifth place, managing to outsell Vauxhall’s traditional best-seller, The Corsa supermini.
Vauxhall’s SUV crossover the Mokka has been around since 2012 and its sturdy yet compact design has proved popular with families. The Mokka X model was announced in 2016, and its facelift included new LED headlights, a wider grille, and fresh front and rear bumpers.
The new model also offered plenty of variety. It was available with a wide range of petrol and diesel engines, front and four-wheel drive, and manual and automatic gearboxes.
Some Fun Facts about the Vauxhall Mokka
- The infotainment systems include high-speed in-car Wi-Fi, remote accident and breakdown rescue, remote fault diagnosis, theft tracking and remote lock/unlocking.
- Off-road, or in bad weather, the Mokka X has an intelligent four-wheel-drive system to give improved stability, traction and handling
- The Mokkaname derives from the small, round coffee beans of the Coffea Arabica variety, which is believed to be the first species of coffee to be cultivated
It’s an interesting mixed bag for 2018 so far, with firm favourites from Ford jostling for position alongside newcomers like the Vauxhall Mokka X. Only time will tell if these Top Five sellers will manage to maintain their positions throughout the rest of the year…
Read the full January 2018 overview report from SMMT at: https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/
Holding, J. (2018). Best-selling cars in the UK 2018. Available: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/94280/best-selling-cars-in-the-uk-2018?_mout=1&utm_campaign=autoexpress_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.vauxhall.co.uk. (2018). Mokka X. Available: http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/mokka-x/overview.html. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.whatcar.com. (2018). Vauxhall Mokka X Review.Available: https://www.whatcar.com/vauxhall/mokka-x/hatchback/review/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
McGarry, C. (2017). 30 Crazy Facts About Volkswagen. Available: https://www.osv.ltd.uk/listings_portfolio/30-crazy-facts-volkswagen/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.firstteamvw.com. (2017). Check out these 10 Volkswagen fun facts!. Available: http://www.firstteamvw.com/blog/10-volkswagen-fun-facts/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Goodwin, A. (2016). 8 GEEK-OUT FACTS ABOUT THE FORD FOCUS RS.Available: https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/8-geek-out-facts-about-the-ford-focus-rs. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Groves, J. (2016). UK prices and specs announced for new Vauxhall Mokka X SUV. Available: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/mokka/94264/uk-prices-and-specs-announced-for-new-vauxhall-mokka-x-suv. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Horrell, P. (2016). Review: the new Vauxhall Mokka X. Available: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/mokka/first-drive. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Middlehurst, T. (2016). Why is the Ford Fiesta so popular?. Available: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/car-features/ford-fiesta-popular/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Smith, S. (2016). 10 facts about the Volkswagen Golf. Available: http://www.eurekar.co.uk/articles/2016-10-14/10-facts-about-the-volkswagen-golf. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Rodie, T. (2015). 6 testing secrets from the Ford Focus RS development documentary. Available: https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/ford-focus-rs-development-documentary-facts-0456. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Gill, R. (2014). 20 fun Ford Fiesta facts. Available: https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2769482/20-fun-ford-fiesta-facts/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.evanshalshaw.com. (2014). The Evolution of the Ford Focus. Available: http://www.evanshalshaw.com/blog/the-evolution-of-the-ford-focus/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk. (2011). 10 Facts About The Nissan Qashqai. Available: https://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/blog/10-facts-nissan-qashqai/28557/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Sourced from www.westwaynissan.co.uk. (2011). Interesting facts about the Nissan Qashqai. Available: http://www.westwaynissan.co.uk/blog/interesting-facts-about-the-nissan-qashqai/. Last accessed 16/02/2018.
Categories: Industry News